This obstacle sensor uses three sets of infrared transmitters and receivers to detect obstacles at right, left and in front of it. This makes it ideal for using with an obstacle avoiding robot and object detection. The range is about 12cm for black colored obstacles and about 20cm for white colored obstacle.
It can also measure the distance of the obstacle like sonar/ultrasonic sensors within its range. This is possible because it measures distance and presence of obstacle based on capacitor discharge time rather than using voltage threshold level like other infrared led based obstacle sensors available in the market.
See the user manual for microcontroller connection and code.
• Features TCRT500 that has effective plastic packaging and built-in sunlight effect compensation.
• Detects obstacles at right, left and in front of the sensor.
• The range is about 12cm for black colored obstacles and about 20cm for white colored obstacle.
• Detects presence and distance of obstacle using capacitor discharge time.
• Low current consumption and small size makes it ideal for obstacle avoiding robots.